On Thursday, March 3, 2016, a joint study day was held at the Mandel Leadership Institute (MLI) in which fellows from all of MLI's current programs – IDF, Haredim and Youth Movements – spent the whole day studying together in mixed groups.
The groups were constructed on the basis of the fellows' selections from among the following five elective courses:
- Who Put You in Charge? Authority and Resistance in Education – moderated by Rabbi Mishael Zion and Yaron Girsh
- Who's Standing next to Me and Who's Standing Behind Me? – moderated by Yael Bar-Lev
- Hebrew Culture: The View from the Periphery – moderated by Dr. Yuval Evri
- Leading with and against the Current – moderated by Dr. Eli Gottlieb and Dr. Chava Shane
- Story, Message, Ceremony: Narratives of Holocaust Commemoration in Israel – moderated by Dr. Lior Alperovitch
In his opening address, Dr. Eli Gottlieb, the director of the Mandel Leadership Institute, said: "The Mandel Leadership Institute is a place that brings together educational and social leaders from diverse ideological and professional communities: Haredim and secularists; army officers and youth leaders; social entrepreneurs and civil servants. This joint study day provides us with a unique opportunity to learn together and from each other. I would like to dedicate this day to the memory of the leader of the professional team that founded this Institute, Prof. Seymour Fox, of blessed memory. If he were here with us today, he would derive particular pleasure from seeing us coming together - above all, together - to discuss topics of leadership that have implications for Israeli society as a whole."