The Mandel Program for Leadership in Jewish Culture
The Mandel Program for Leadership in Jewish Culture aims to contribute to the vitality and diversity of Jewish culture in Israel by investing in leaders in education, culture, and community.
The program targets experienced leaders who seek to improve their professional capabilities; leaders committed to enriching Jewish culture in Israel who want to learn alongside people with worldviews and professional backgrounds that differ from their own.
In 2017–2018 the program will include fellows from a broad range of communities, worldviews, and professional backgrounds – directors of educational programs, heads of communities, cultural innovators, and more. Studies will take place one and a half days per week over the course of one academic year. Fellows will receive a stipend and will be mentored by expert advisors.
The program will include studies at the Mandel Leadership Institute in Jerusalem on subjects related to education, leadership, Judaism and Israel studies. The group will work to create a shared professional language that will enable them to examine the challenges facing Judaism in Israel today, and the opportunities for it to flourish in the future.
The program curriculum comprises three main components:
1. Core Studies
- Vision: Clarifying personal and collective visions; studying past and present visions in Jewish and general thought
- Judaism and Israel Studies: Explorations from theoretical and practical perspectives
- Education: Educational theory and practice; topics in learning, identity, community, and belonging
- Leadership: Strategy and planning, resource development, working with systems, evaluation and quality control, and organizational sustainability
- Support from expert tutors and advisors
- Work on personal projects
- Analysis of the professional practice of each fellow
Weekly sessions in which fellows present their work and ideas and receive feedback from their peers and professional facilitators.
Registration for 2017–2018 closed on April 20, 2017.
For Further Information
Tamar Shalem, Program Coordinator, Mandel Program for Leadership in Jewish Culture